Clean Food: Tips for Eating Well
- Avoid sugar and processed foods. Packaged foods do not have much nutritional value. and they often 1 tsp of sugar reduces the immune system by 60% for about 4 hrs. The Sugar causes the body to become acidic which feeds inflammation. Sugar causes dysbiosis in the gut, which promotes yeast/bacterial Processed foods contain a lot of chemicals and preservatives that all To simplify, shop the perimeter of the grocery store or visit the farmers contain loads of sugar. average American eats 22 tsp of sugar daily! overgrowth. have negative health effects. market.
- Purchase organic. Organic products contain more nutrients and fewer toxins. In 2002, the USDA National Organic Program implemented new Visit the EWG.org (Environmental Working Group) for a downloadable The chemicals/pesticides in non-organic food cause inflammation in Pesticides are highly estrogenic (meaning they mimic estrogen in the Organic farming also helps preserve farmland and decreases
- Eat a variety of whole foods. We need color! The goal here, to start, is at least 5 colors a day. Reds, labeling that certifies products grown without the use of persistent pesticides and fertilizers, and prohibits the use of genetic engineering, irradiation, sewer sludge, growth hormones, or antibiotics. copy of the “Dirty Dozen and Clean 15”. This is a list of the most toxic fruits and vegetables (those that should only be eaten if organic) vs. those that are the least toxic and do not have to be organic.our gut and therefore affect our immunity and our neurological system.body) and contribute to hormonal imbalance. contamination of ground water. oranges, yellows, whites, purple, blues, greens! The greens and purples are the highest in antioxidants but every color provides many nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and fiber. These foods promote health. vegetables, whole grains, nuts/seeds, legumes, fish, meats, dairy. Again, shop the perimeter of the grocery store. Fresh fruit and
- Eat plenty of protein. Protein provides the amino acids our body needs to repair and Protein helps increase liver metabolism, which helps us filter toxins Protein will help us feel satisfied and it will help balance blood sugar. Each meal or snack should have protein. The formula for protein need is: Body weight lbs./ 2.2 (to get your Sources of protein include: meats (organic or grass fed), fish (visit the Animal protein should be organic and grass fed. regenerate. from our body.weight in kilograms) x .6 (.8 or 1 if you are an athlete). The average female needs about 40-60 grams daily. ewg.org for a Safe fish list), nuts, quinoa, and beans.
- Incorporate fermented foods. Fermented foods such as yogurt (low/no sugar variety), kefir, miso, kim Did you know? Our gut serves as your second brain, and even chi, sauerkraut, or Kombucha, boost beneficial bacteria in the gut, which will help, improve our immune system and our neurological system. produces more serotonin than your brain does. Maintaining the ideal balance of good and bad bacteria forms the foundation for good health—physical, mental and emotional.
- Avoid any known food sensitivities Food can create an enormous amount of inflammation if you have an allergy or intolerance. They lead to toxemia of the gut, which destroys the gut barrier. These foods also cause the release of cytokines, which are neuroexcitatory (which means they can cause anxiety, headaches, pain, mood/behavior issues, and fatigue).